16.3.12

DIY Leather Pyramid Bag

Can you believe it?  Another week has zipped past (again) and it's Friday!  Which means it's another round of DIY Friday to ease you into the weekend.

Here's my latest offering - inspired by Sass & Bide's awesome bags (which by the way have sold out in their online store already).
LB_ssb_ss12_004_copyLB_ssb_ss12_002_copy

I won't lie - this was a pretty time-intensive DIY and if you don't have a half-decent sewing machine, you might as well kiss this goodbye and save yourself the heartache.  Let's just say it wasn't an easy task with my mum's el-crappo machine.

DSC_0268

DIY LEATHER PYRAMID BAG


You'll need some leather (softer is easier to sew with a standard sewing machine, but too soft and the structure won't hold by itself), a sewing machine and some leather needles (they have a cutting triangular tip), some chain for a handle and a zip.

Make yourself a plan - don't follow mine exactly because I changed the dimensions later to make it work better, but you get the idea.  If you want, make a prototype out of paper and glue just to see if your pattern works.

DSC_0227DSC_0229
DSC_0239
DSC_0230DSC_0231

Trace out your pattern and chop up that leather.
DSC_0234
DSC_0236DSC_0237

Start up that sewing machine, and firstly sew up the triangular pieces so you have a pyramid without a base.  Try and keep it neat or you might run into trouble later (case in point: 4th photo below shows the points not matching up!!).
Try not to hit struggle-town as you sew on your zipper to the bottom of the pyramid first, then the base square.  Reinforce the edges once you're done so that you don't get any raw bits poking out when you turn it inside-out.

DSC_0243
DSC_0246DSC_0255DSC_0245

Turn the tip of the pyramid inside out and get yourself your length of chain.  Make the chain into a loop and using some thick thread, sew it into the apex of the pyramid, hiding the stitch.
DSC_0256DSC_0259

Et voila!
DSC_0261

I might track down a piece of plastic or card that will fit into the base so that it doesn't deform every time I put something into it.  Other than that, I can't wait to debut it somewhere!  Even my dad was surprised with this project :)

Feeling up to the challenge?  Give us a holler if you make your own pyramid bag!

xx T
SHARE THIS POST

14 comments:

  1. This looks awesome! No wonder you dad was impressed! Love the gold leather too
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's absolutely incredible!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is amazing t! well done! btw where did you get the leather from?

    http://jas-tidbits.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jas! I trawled around on eBay for some - plenty there to choose from

      Delete
  4. No way!!! This is stunning! (Not hitting struggle-town...good DIY advice that I am incapable of following.)

    acleanercloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! You did absolutely amazing x

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE IT! That leather = *drool*. I still haven't posted the Jil Sander-esque one I made, mainly because it's less DIY and more "look what I made" haha. Plus I want to make one from more colourful leather (I'm paranoid it just looks like I'm carrying a black garbage bag at the moment haha). Must try eBay - Spotlight was crap. I used interfacing on mine, but it didn't really help hold up the shape that much (although I quite like mine slouchy).

    Now excuse me while I scroll back up and stare at the prettiness.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of using interfacing, but then I thought my mum's sewing machine wouldn't survive the ordeal so I ditched that idea. But I'm sure it'd be perfect for more structure!

      Alas, spotlight has also been letting me down lately, and I now trawl eBay for stuff. It's so good...

      Delete
  7. Ah this is amazing! Wish I was half as creative with a sewing machine as you are.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is amazinggggg! Way better than (dare I say) the fluoro concept S&B came up with

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the bag..I can not believe you made that yourself!

    x
    Valentina de Pertis

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is incredible. So tempted to give it a go even though I suck at DIY.
    Amazing job :)

    Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Finally an actual pyramid bag! Thank you for this awesome D.I.Y.!

    ReplyDelete

We take time to read each and every comment - thanks for visiting Le.Fanciulle!

Le.Fanciulle. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.